An error occured during local report processing

My first biggest headache with sql server reporting services was dealing with this report set that had toggle buttons that could collapse and unfold portions of the report along with a navigation tree built into the report. Both of these features I wasn’t even aware existed until just recently, I’ve found out since then that the toggled reports are known as “drill down reports” and the navigation adeptly named “document navigation”

I was attempting to update a report using these features however anytime I would click a toggle button or try to navigate a link or use the page change buttons I would be presented with this most horrific and meaningless error message ever

An error occurred during local report processing. An internal error occurred on the report server. see the error log for more details.

Great, so an error occured go look at the logs, eventually I figure out that the logs it is referring to are stored in drive:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\LogFiles for Sql Server 2005. In the log files I found 1 error message relating to an invalid in line sql data set for a subreport which I fix figuring that would be it. I build the reports again goto preview and am presented with the exact same error again.

After a great long time searching trying to find cause I eventually found an article that pointed me to this Microsoft article (I’m not sure why I didn’t find this in Google originally usually they’re at the top of the list).

FIX: Error message when you try to drill through a report in SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services: “An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details”

Which the solution was simple, update sql server 2005 to service pack 2 and all would be all, and so it was said and so it was done and so it was well.